Monday, March 23, 2009

Planting season

Today our paperwork made it through the Secretary of State and is spending the night at the Embassy of Ethiopia. Last hurdle US side... We’re praying hard!

It’s also planting time.


We’ve started cold frames this year and have lettuces and spinach growing well already. We’re a little late on a few other things – planting the seeds for our tomatoes and peppers and such. We’ll see how they do.



Every time I plant things now, or even look at our garden, I wonder… at what time in our growing season will we pick up and leave and come back a completely changed family? Supersonic early, just after the tomatoes are planted in June? No, that’s a little too early. When things are starting to produce, in July? Harvest, in October? What will God’s timing be?


Last night I was up late reading some of the travel things from our agency and articles on Ethiopia that I found in the internet. I’m trying to grasp true poverty. I’ve always felt an unrest, a yearning, a calling, to help, to do something, to start righting the scales. But to actually see it… I don’t know if I’m ready. The things we call poverty in the states – there’s no comparison. That’s riches in Ethiopia. I’ve never been hungry without knowing there was food waiting. I’ve never had only one meal a day – and that’s if they can manage to get the aid. This is going to be a tough trip.



In the more immediate front, we are moving along with the kitchen finally. It’s time to start sanding the cabinets! Hey, if that’s a love of yours, we’ll be doing it for a while – drop by and we’ll provide some dinner! Chris is then going to move the fridge and stove out of the kitchen, seal things off even better, and spray paint all the cabinets right in there. Hey, there’s no surface that won’t eventually be redone, why not?

I just had to add this picture - it's the only view I ever have of Alyssa any more. And all conversations entail, " just one more page/chapter/book."

No comments:

Post a Comment